Wednesday, May 16, 2018

OMG, I REALLY AM A DINOSAUR

by Bob Walsh

I am strange, I still carry a pager. I have a cell phone, a dumb phone as opposed to a smart phone. No camera, no GPS, just a phone. I hate to turn it on. It is there for MY convenience. Some months I don't use it once. There are about four people who have that pager number and whenever it goes off, it is bad news. I have had it for maybe 25 or 30 years. I think I have gone thru four of the devices themselves.

My current pager started acting squirrely this weekend. The alarm function started to self-activate and won't deactivate. Mildly irritating. So I called the communications company. They do a lot of other stuff besides pagers apparently, because once I got ahold of a body I found out that I was their very last pager customer and had been for years. I had a very nice, brief chat with the tech I got in touch with.

The front desk lady who actually does the ordering of such things will call me back about ordering a new one. I hope she remembers how to do it.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Although I've never has a pager, I too am a dinosaur. I'm strictly a home phone guy. I do have a simple cell phone like you have. I have it for emergency purposes only. It does have a camera, but this dinosaur doesn't know how to use it. I cannot use a smart phone due to my visual handicap, (I do not have any trouble eying good looking babes.) I suppose that is an advantage because I won't have a wreck driving while texting and I won't get run over by a car when walking while texting.

No comments:

Post a Comment