Thursday, September 12, 2019

TRUMP ISN'T WRONG

But I Don't See How This Would Work

by Bob Walsh

A couple of days ago President Trump called the formerly great state of California a "disgrace to our country" due to the homeless situation here. He also expressed that he was preparing to order a "sweeping crackdown on homelessness in California." That's nice. Just how is he going to accomplish that?

Except for some aspect of public health I honestly don't see how this is a direct federal issue. I can't imagine he is going to use the FBI to round up homeless people and force them into government run shelters. It is the federal courts that have said that being homeless is not a crime. Being crazy isn't a crime. Being a junkie is not a crime. Presumably therefore being a crazy drug-addict homeless person is not a crime.

Until plague and typhoid start running rampant in the homeless camps and the CDC can move in to isolate them I am not sure I see a legal mechanism to accomplish this goal. Not that I think it is a bad idea on its face, I just don't see how it can be accomplished.

EDITOR'S NOTE: How about the death penalty for homelessness? Just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment