Saturday, August 17, 2024

FOUNDING FATHER HOWIE KATZ'S SPEECH AT THE 2024 TNOA ANNUAL CONFERENCE

By Corky Schalchlin  

Executive Director,  Texas Narcotic Officers Association
 

 

The 2024 Texas Narcotic Officers Association (TNOA) Conference in Galveston, Texas, was a great success! We had an incredible turnout with over 600 officers in attendance, showing the strong commitment of our members to enhancing their skills and knowledge in the fight against narcotics.

I wanted to take a moment to highlight a truly special event from the 2024 TNOA Annual Training Conference. We were honored to have Howie Katz, the founding father of the Texas Narcotic Officers Association, speak at our Awards Banquet. At 97 years old, Howie captivated the audience with his reflections on the creation of TNOA back in 1969.

His speech was a reminder of the legacy we carry on today. Howie shared his experiences, the challenges with drug use that we continue to face, and the vision that has guided our association for over five decades. His words were not only inspiring but also a powerful testimony to the commitment of TNOA.

For those who were unable to attend or would like to revisit Howie’s memorable speech, a recording is available on YouTube. You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/bSAbSAALbfc.

Thank you to everyone who joined us at the conference and to Howie for his invaluable contributions to our association and the field of narcotics enforcement.

Stay safe.
___________________
 
The Founding of TNOA

By Howie Katz

When I as a California law enforcement officer, I was active in the California Narcotic Officers Association, of which I am a Life Member.

In 1969 I accepted a teaching position at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. One of the first things I did was to inquire about the Texas Narcotic Officer Association. When I found out there was no such thing, I decided to organize such an organization.

I approached Dr. George Killinger, the department head, and told him of my intention. He was very receptive.. He agreed to bear the expense of letting me make telephone calls to law enforcement agencies all over the state so I could invite officers to SHSU for an organizational meeting. Dr. Killinger also agreed to provide lunch for all of the attending officers. 

The third or fourth phone call I made was  to the Houston PD where I promptly ran into a roadblock. Capt. Jack Renois, head of the Narcotics division, emphatically stated that we could not form a state narcotic officers organization without the explicit approval of DPS. I did not argue with hum that he was mistaken.

I immediately called DPS Director Col. Wilson Speir. He was very enthusiastic about forming TNOA. He told me he would have Elmer Terrell, the head of DPS narcotics division, call me. Elmer called me about ten minutes later and we agreed on a date for the meeting. After that, Capt. Renois was aboard.

The meeting at SHSU was well attended by officers from all over the state. Elmer Terrell was chosen as TNOA's president, a damn good choice. TNOA received its state charter in 1970.  

No comments:

Post a Comment